Monday, November 16, 2009

B-U-N-C-O!!!

Well hello again...it's been like what 30 seconds since my last post. You must really enjoy my company. Either that or your bored to tears and this is the lesser of two evils.

Anyway, I titled this post B-U-N-C-O because this is how I pass the time here in not so sunny Monterey, CA. You know when I'm not prodding my strong willed 4 year old to write her own name each day, cleaning up after said 4 year old plus 33 year old husband, running errands, doing the laundry, paying the bills, working my Scentsy business, etc. Geez, someone should pay me. Either that or change my name to Alice. Let me tell you though, this sure ain't the Brady Bunch. Well it could be as "Mike" is never home and "Carol" can be downright bitchy at times. Oh, and my 4 year old can sometimes feel like 6 kids wrapped into one.

Okay, so I'll get on with what this post is supposed to be about, B-U-N-K-O! What a WONDERFUL game I have discovered here in Monterey. It's what some of us military wives call "sanity in a box," although I've often called boxed wine that as well. The only wine I get around here is spelled whine and comes in the form of a very tired little girl most nights. So B-U-N-K-O is my release. It's my way of getting out of the house and hanging out with my fellow military spouses. As we roll the dice and add up the points we tell funny stories about things our kids have said and / or done lately. Some of them are doozies and make me worry about the state of this great nation when they're my age.

So as I was getting ready for B-U-N-K-O this past weekend, my daughter looks at me and says, "mommy are you going to play Bunko tonight?" I replied, "Yes, honey I am." She then looked at me with those baby blue eyes and said, "Good, because I think you could use a night of girl time. Next time will you bring me?" After I thought for a second I told her that B-U-N-K-O was just for mommy's and someday when she's a mommy she can go to her own Bunko group. She seemed to take that for what is was worth and carried on playing in her room. When I got ready to leave the house I gave her a hug and kiss and thought I would be on my way. That is until she ran full speed at the door and told me not to forget my "mommy juice," which happened to be a bottle of wine that I was going to share with my good friends. At this point I thanked her for reminding me and went on my way. When I got to B-U-N-K-O and poured myself a glass of wine I kept thinking about what my daughter had called it ("Mommy Juice").

This kind of bothered me, but I was only acrossed the street so I fought the urge to go back home and cuddle my baby. I shrugged the thought off as just "mommy guilt" and proceeded to have more fun than I have had in quite some time. When I got home that night my little girl lay asleep in her bed. I kissed her goodnight and left her room. My husband met me in the hallway at this point and proceeded to tell me a story that made me laugh when I thought I might cry. He told me that my little girl had sang the song "B-U-N-K-O" (to the tune of B-I-N-G-O) and she finished it off with "and that's where mommy goes." Then I realized that she's 1) too smart for her own good and 2) this might bite me in the butt someday in the not so distant future. I still love my B-U-N-K-O though.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lucky Readers