Thursday, November 19, 2009

"I'll Help You If You Want Me Too Mommy! I Don't Mind."

Tonight I'm writing this post with a smile on my face and a flutter in my heart. Today I realized just how special my little girl is and just she understands her mommy's limitations. Here, let me start from the beginning so that you can get a better understanding of just how special my sweet little girl really is.

Today started out like any other Thursday, but it wasn't like any other day. Today was special. Today, Caylee had a Thanksgiving feast at school and parents were invited to attend. It was so much fun to see the kids sing songs and dance. It was somewhere between the singing and dancing and the dessert that one of the new students in Caylee's class said to her, "why does your mommy walk so funny?" My heart sank and my breath was caught in my lungs desperately planning its escape. Should I answer for her? What was she going to say? How were we going to handle this? I tried to speak up, but my mind was watching this in slow motion and my words were nowhere to be found. That's when my little girl looked at her friend and said, "God just made my mommy different. That's all!" And with that they began to play again, subject closed.

I couldn't have been prouder of her. She didn't even flinch. She knew exactly what she was going to say. So why then was I so worried about this exact moment? Maybe I was worried because I didn't want my little girl to have to answer these kind of questions. Maybe I was worried because I thought it would make her feel different than her peers. I now realized that this isn't something that I have to worry about right now. My amazing little girl knows how to handle herself.

When the festivities were over, we headed home to change our clothes and then we were off to the park to play with our preschool friends. Before I left the house, I went back in to get my camping chair since sitting on the ground is a little harder for me. Clearly, gravity is not my friend sometimes. Thus, making it hard for me to get off the ground with any kind of dignity left. So, to solve the problem I take my camping chair. When I put the car in park and opened the garage door, I looked behind me and told Caylee to sit still while mommy goes in the garage to get the chair. In that second she looked me in the eye with a big smile on her face and said, "don't worry mommy. I'll help you up from the ground, if you want me too. I don't mind." In that moment I was overcome with such gratitude and appreciate for my little girl. I was so proud of her. I kindly told her that it wasn't her job to help mommy get up from the ground and that sitting in my chair instead of the ground would be better.

On the way to the park, I asked Caylee how she feels when her friends ask her why her mommy walks funny. She didn't even think twice before she answered with, "I don't mind mommy. You're still my mommy no matter how you walk." The tears started to form in my eyes, and I was glad that she couldn't see me cry tears of happiness. For so long I have been worried about how my physical "dis' abilities" would affect my daughter's budding social life, but now I realize that there's nothing to be worried about...at least not for the time being." No, for now my little girl has it covered, and I couldn't be prouder of her.

So until we meet again, I'll be cuddling with my amazing little girl.

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome story, Courtney! Kids are really amazing. You have obviously been a great role model and example for her to learn that not everyone is made the same way, and that's perfectly OK. Not all kids are that fortunate. She has been raised with a loving and non-judgmental heart. Couldn't ask for anything better. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Corie! I appreciate the comment. Sometimes as parents we question whether or not we're teaching our kids the right things so that they can grow up to be wonderful adults. Then things like this happen, and I know that I'm doing the best I can. :)

    ReplyDelete

Lucky Readers